Monday, July 10, 2017

A Child's Eyes

A Child's Eyes


As I write this I am in Lakewood, New Jersey visiting with my family for the long holiday weekend. July 2 happens to be my mom's birthday, and July 6 is both my daughter's AND sister's birthday, so it's a very celebratory time around here! Add to this the best kosher food on earth outside of Israel and you have a very happy family. (Brunch this morning at Pizzano's included nachos, eggplant rollatini, French onion soup, personal pizza, cheese fries, and sushi. We took most of it home.)

Tonight we decided to go see fireworks at Pine Park. We had been at my sister's house swimming in her pool and so we decided to invite my two nieces to join us (way past their bedtime) for fireworks. "Chaya, Miriam - have you ever been to fireworks before?" I asked.

"Not up close!" they yelled. The six of us joined hands and joined the throngs walking to the park. We sat on the grassy hill and got ready. As dusk settled, I peeked over at my little nieces and got twice as excited. I love fireworks, but seeing them through a child's eyes for the first time is another experience entirely. Every pop and flash brought a gasp and a "wow"! The lights, the colors, and the glittery display reflected off their adorable faces and wide eyes. I love being the favorite aunt (I hold the uncontested champion title) but more than that I love bonding with my nieces. The bonus for me was that I enjoyed the show twice as much - through a child's eyes.

A few weeks ago I rambled about my new eating habits. One of the things I've been doing is slowing down my eating. Between each bite I try to put my fork down, savor my mouthful. Then I take a sip of water before my next forkful. I enjoy my food so much more than when I was scarfing it down while multi-tasking (and I eat less). Children do these things intuitively. They savor each puddle, each flash of lightning, each bubble blown. They are filled with wonder and joy. They are the best teachers. 

If you want to enjoy life more, take along a child and enjoy it through a child's eyes. Remember the magic of experiencing things for the first time. New shoes. A brand-new pencil. A colorful bird. Children help us slow down, although we often resist that pull. But when the child is irresistible, life becomes wonderful and magical all over again.

Have a fun and magical summer.



Shabbat Shalom,
Ruchi