Sunday, June 8, 2014

Judaism's Elevator Pitch

"Rabbi, I'm so excited! My 16-year old niece, who lives in a very affluent, materialistic environment, has never shown any interest in her Jewish faith.  This week, out of the blue, I receive a text message from her, asking me if I can please share with her what being Jewish is all about. So, what should I tell her?  What is the most important part of being Jewish?  My husband says it's gratitude.  Is that correct?  Is gratitude the best way to sum up Judaism?"

This conversation happened last night.  I was meeting with a JFX couple in Solon, and I was asked this question.  What is the correct answer to this question, I wondered?  Is there a correct answer?   One that a 16-old newcomer could appreciate?  Judaism in a nutshell?

This morning I came across the following line in my Talmud studies:  "Any Jew who displays compassion to others, is certainly a descendant of our forefather Abraham..."  Perhaps this is the #1 Jewish creed: Chessed, kindness, compassion and empathy, Abraham's legacy!?

This question was famously presented to Hillel, in the Talmud, when a non-Jew asked Hillel to convert him to Judaism, by teaching him the basics of Judaism, "while I stand on one foot."  Hillel's response paralleled the great Rabbi Akiva's statement: "What is hateful to you, avoid doing to others."  

The obvious question to ask both Hillel and Rabbi Akiva is that we know that Judaism respects a healthy balance between Mitzvahs that affect our fellow man, AND Mitzvahs that help us relate to G-d.  So, how could these two men, two of Judaism's greatest rabbis and scholars, focus exclusively on interpersonal Mitzvahs, and ignore the man-to-G-d component?

The answer that some of the Torah commentaries give to this question is that what Hillel and Rabbi Akiva were teaching us, is that THE KEY to all of Torah Judaism is the importance of developing strong, wholesome relationships.   Relationships in all areas of our lives.  Relationships to our fellow man, a relationship with G-d, and a relationship with our selves, to develop our own character!  This begins by being sensitive to what would they (G-d and the people in our life) want from us, as we develop relationships with them.      

Paraphrased in contemporary terms, Judaism is a religion of RELATIONSHIPS!  That's my answer to the Judaism on one foot:  Relationships. relationships and relationships:  With G-d, with others and with ourselves!

What would you answer to this question?  What's your Jewish "elevator speech"?