Friday, June 6, 2014

Ruthian Courage

So, Shavuot has come and gone, and I just can't stop thinking about the story of Ruth.  In fact, as I typed the name "Ruth" my fingers automatically typed "Ruchi."  (Cue "Twilight Zone" music.)  Here was a woman, a princess, who gave it all up to become not just a Jew, but a penniless, lonely, single Jew.  Eventually, she became the maternal link in the Davidic line and eventually the Messianic line, but she sure didn't know that till later.

I recently read this mind-blowing story called "The Mountain Family" about this non-Jewish, but deeply religious family of twelve on a quest for personal growth and religious fulfillment.  After living on a mountain top for years, they eventually encounter Torah-observant Judaism and eventually... well.  I'm not going to ruin the whole book for you.

But this is what I call Ruthian Courage.  The ability to completely and radically change your life, without fully knowing where it will lead.  It kind of reminds me of walking the plank in Peter Pan (yes, that's the last pirate movie I saw).  And I wonder... I'VE never been asked to radically change my life without knowing where it would lead.  I mean, sure, life has handed me some interesting situations and I've had to fly by the seat of my pants, but I haven't been asked to consciously choose radical change.

But I know others who have.

These people, men, women, and even kids, have glimpsed truth and chosen it.  They've accepted consequences before they've fully become aware of what they are.  They've done first, and listened to the effects after. 

Isn't that what Shavuot was all about?

Naaseh v'nishma.  We will do and we will hear.  We will jump off the diving board, and afterward learn how to swim.  I'd like to believe I have Ruthian Courage.  I don't truly know if I do.  But one thing I do know: I know people who have it, and I admire them deeply.  The Mountain Family.  Ruth.  And women and men my age who live right here in my neighborhood.  Glimpsed truth and followed its lead.  No matter what.

Today, I salute them.  And hope to learn from them, and from their inspiration.

Ask Yourself:

In what way can I summon up courage to live a deeper version of truth?
What can I do today to be more in line with what I know to be true?