Friday, September 2, 2016

Smile!

Smile!



Walking back from a Bris in Cleveland Heights on Shabbos, I decided to explore a more scenic route home. Passing by a middle-aged couple sitting on their stoop, smoking cigarettes, I absent-mindedly waved and greeted them with a "good afternoon." She replied with a hearty "Good Shabbos!" and I perked up.  

"Ah, a member of the tribe," thought I. Then she continued, "I'm a shiksa, but I know the lingo!" Not to leave that one hanging, I replied that we are all friends. She agreed, and added that we all have to have each others' backs. She then asked me which temple I attend, and asked if I knew a certain Jewish co-worker of hers. (I did not.)  

I continued walking and approached a main intersection, where a car was sitting at the light, waiting for it to turn green. The driver saw me, gave me a big wave, and asked how I was doing. I could tell from the way he was engaging with me that he had obviously mistook me for someone else, so I returned the greeting. (All Jews look alike, right? Perhaps he knew another tall, bearded Jew in a black hat!) Then the light turned green and he drove off into the sunset.

These two back-to-back, "random" interactions, with people I wouldn''t even recognize if I bumped into them again, gave me a small glimpse into the deep wisdom of our sages. The Mishnah in Pirkei Avot teaches us about the importance of greeting everyone cheerfully. Had I not returned these two greetings cheerfully, it would have been a negative reflection not only on myself, but on the Jewish co-worker of the lady on the stoop, and on whomever the fellow in the car confused me with. I was reminded of how our greetings (and our actions) can often have a global impact on the world!

Here's a suggestion that a friend of mine, Rabbi Shlomo Landau of East Brunswick, New Jersey, has taught me: Whenever you interact with people, be it a cashier or bagger at the supermarket, a tollbooth operator, or the like, make sure not be engaged with your cell phone. Instead, focus on the person serving you, look them in the eye, ask them how their day is going and be prepared to be surprised at what an impact this small gesture can have on their lives, and in return become aware of what a positive impact this habit will have on your own life!

Shabbat Shalom,
Rabbi Koval