Monday, August 10, 2015

Space Travelers

Space Travelers
By: Rabbi Sruly Koval

Do you enjoy looking out the window on an airplane as the plane takes off, and watching the world, our world, get smaller? When I'm seated in the window seat, and watch as we climb a little closer to heaven, I sometimes get a sense of how trivial some of the things that worry us on planet earth really are. 

Last week, returning from a family wedding, I stopped off at a gas station on my way back to the airport to refill a rental car. It turns out that a group of about 20 Hell's Angels (NY branch) motorcyclists were filling up their bikes when I arrived. Waiting on line behind them, and stressing out at the gas pump, I was becoming increasingly worried that I would miss my flight. An hour later, as I watched the world grow smaller out my airplane window, gazing out at my world with a birds' eye view, it seemed kind of silly that I actually had stressed out over that. Big deal. So I miss the flight and catch the next one. Is that really worth the stress?

I once read an article about how astronauts who return from space flight return to planet earth with a renewed sense of purpose and mission. Apparently, breaking out of their physical limitations instills within them a reminder about what's truly important in life. 
In fact, the Torah teaches us that when G-d chose Abraham to become the father of the Jewish people, He actually lifted him out the earth's orbit, showed him the stars close-up, and gave him perspective and vision for his mission of becoming the "father of a multitude of nations."

I believe that the traditional observance of Shabbos is meant to accomplish a similar phenomenon. Once a week we disconnect from the trivial limitations and distractions that hold us back from becoming great all week long. In turn, we have the ability to reconnect with our truer selves, and gain perspective and set meaningful goals for our upcoming week.

This past Shabbos, 35 of us lifted off and enjoyed an incredible Shabbat journey together in Burton, Ohio. We traveled out of the hustle and bustle of our hectic family lives, bonded as a community, set meaningful goals and gained perspective on leading more meaningful lives!

Enjoy the attached pictures, as well the pictures of my Hell's Angels gas station friends! ;)

Shabbat Shalom
Rabbi Sruly Koval