Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Do What You Love

"Do what you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." The other day my husband and I were on our way to a wedding and we started discussing his upcoming talk about happiness at our Shabbaton this weekend. And for the next twenty minutes, he and I discussed the particulars of Jewish happiness, and how we use practical steps to maintain true and meaningful happiness in the face of personal disappointments and international tragedy and fear. See, this is our life. Every now and then every person in the world wonders if he is making a difference. Maximizing his potential. If he matters. If he is wasting his life, his talents. Rabbis, leaders and teachers are no different. We all need reminders and validation that our efforts matter. Last week I received a Facebook message from a stranger, a Jewish woman here in Cleveland. She wanted to meet with me, and a few days ago, we did. Usually, when this happens (and it does occasionally) the person needs something from me. Either she has a dilemma and wants to know the Jewish take. Or people want my help for a community project. Or they want me to explain why God is doing something in their lives. This time was radically different. The woman wanted to give me something. A gift. The gift of validation. The gift of telling me that my posts on my blog and on Facebook are meaningful and inspiring. That she is moved by my spirit of non-judgmentalism and spirituality. That she supports and appreciates what I do. See, I'm human. This is oxygen for me. This is what keeps me going. But even in absence of external validation, there is something very important about loving what you do. And being blessed enough to discuss the meaning of happiness with my wise and thoughtful husband, on the way to a wedding, because that's my job, is a gift of the highest order. So thank you, stranger, for the gift of external validation. (Note to self: do it to others more.) And thank you, God, for the gift of loving what I do... so I never have to work a day in my life. Shabbat Shalom, Ruchi