Monday, October 28, 2019

A Rabbi and a Minister Walked into a Rest Stop...


A Rabbi and a Minister Walked into a Rest Stop...

Ruchi:
It always amazes me that when my husband writes a ramble he has these fascinating stories of interesting things that random people come over and say to him. I always joke that when you look like a storybook rabbi people will be attracted to you and share their innermost spiritual thoughts with you. But I will let him continue this story.
 
Rabbi:
We were traveling on Route 80 last week. Being that it was the holiday of Sukkot, we had our portable sukkah in the trunk (just in case of an emergency). It was at around midnight that we pulled into a rest stop in western Pennsylvania, got out of the car, and were immediately greeted by a jovial self-described Christian minister. He approached me and asked if it would be appropriate for him to wish me a “happy Sukkat.”
 
Ruchi:
See what I mean? I know that I am more incognito without a yarmulke (and also being a foot shorter) but nevertheless nobody comes over and says those kinds of things to me. And people rarely drop their religious denomination within one second of meeting me. But I do have to say that it makes the midnight runs to rest stops a lot more interesting.
 
Rabbi:
Our kids were fascinated as he went on a three-minute monologue about how special our religion is. He explained that he follows the Jewish calendar and holidays, and noted that it was recently the 10 days of repentance followed by Sukkot. He also mentioned that he feels passionately that more Christians should be following the Jewish festival cycle, which clearly appears in the Old Testament.
 
Ruchi:
There are definitely benefits to having a rabbi on hand. Who knew that a Christian minister from New Castle, Pennsylvania was following our holiday season so closely? It was really heartwarming to think that our faith has such a ripple effect in the world.
 
Rabbi:
Meanwhile, previously on that day, I had received a phone call from Kathy. Kathy is a woman who works for John Carroll University in the annex building which we use as our synagogue headquarters. She has told me on many occasions how happy she is to help serve her Jewish neighbors and that if we ever need anything we should definitely call her. Many of you may remember that there were high winds on that day. While my family and I were driving through Pennsylvania, I got a call on my cell from Kathy. And in words that may well have appeared in the Old Testament, she said, “Rabbi, your tabernacle has fallen!”
 
Ruchi:
Unfortunately our “tabernacle” (aka sukkah) was not salvageable. But it just hammered home for me (no pun intended) how when a person walks around looking like a proud Jew, and acting like a mensch, others will be inspired to follow and help the people of his faith. Although sometimes it is not convenient to be a loud and proud Jew, and we certainly don’t put ourselves in the limelight on purpose, when conversations like this happen it fills me with a strong sense of pride that we are doing the right thing in this world. If we can inspire a resurgence of spirituality or a desire in others to assist the Jewish community, then any inconvenience or discomfort is more than worth it.

Shabbat Shalom,
Rabbi and Ruchi