Monday, March 19, 2018

Alexa, Wake Me Up

Alexa, Wake Me Up


While I enjoy writing, I don’t always have a topic to write about for these “rambles”. This week was such a case. While sitting at my computer, staring at a blank screen, I allowed a few ideas to run through my mind. Nothing, however, was really calling me.

While engaged in my musings, I had the radio on in the background. I wasn’t paying much attention to it but a commercial that was playing caught my ear. It was an advertisement for Alexa – the popular device that more and more people are using in their homes which performs many functions for their owners.

The ad stated (I am paraphrasing here), “Now Alexa can read a bedtime story to your children! Simply ask and Alexa will read the story!” The commercial is pitching the notion that you can allow Alexa to handle bedtime so that you can occupy yourself with other matters.

Hearing the ad, I was really rubbed the wrong way. Before I sound like I am getting on my high horse, I will be the first to admit that I am completely guilty of what I am about to rant about to some degree. I am speaking as much to myself as to anyone who cares to read this. Hearing this commercial was perhaps the lightning bolt I needed to jolt me back to my senses.

We live in a society that has become increasingly addicted to our smartphones and electronic devices. Everywhere you look people are constantly looking at their phones. Be it in line at the supermarket, at a speech or a class, on a bus, even unfortunately in the synagogue – people are busy with their phones. I have seen pictures of husbands and wives taking a walk while they are both engrossed in looking at their phones. Another picture I saw was of a group of teenagers at a museum and all of them were looking at their phones.

Sadly (and again, I admit I am guilty of this), this obsession with our phones has also intruded in and had a negative impact on the time we spend with our children. And that is what caught my attention with this advertisement.

One of the things I have done since the birth of my oldest child and has continued now for over 20 years down to my 3-year-old daughter (at least when I am in town) has been putting the kids to sleep. Despite having precious little time to myself in the evenings I enjoy carving out some time to spend with my little ones by reading them a bedtime story and putting them to sleep. I will admit, some of why I enjoy it is because I am usually so exhausted and I conk out while reading so I am able to catch a short power nap. (One of my favorite pictures is of me lying fast asleep next to my young son who is jumping all over the place while I “put him to sleep”.) But beyond that, it gives me a few minutes to bond with my child. I hope they will remember those moments and cherish them when they grow older and no longer need me to put them to bed.

So hearing the ad for Alexa filled me with sadness. Isn’t it bad enough that this insidious device, which I recognize has so much good to offer as well, is already taking us away from so many important things in life? Does it need to also strip away one of the most precious commodities parents can give their children? Can Alexa reading a bedtime story compare in the slightest to the parent doing the same?

Advertisements exist for products that the manufacturers recognize a market for. How sad it is that we live in a time in which it is normal for us to delegate our bedtime stories, and by extension our ability to build and strengthen our relationships, with our children to an electronic device that sits on our dining room table.

On the other hand, I am glad I heard this ad. I know that I, like many others, struggle to put away the phone when I am around my children. This ad has achieved one thing, though probably not what it was hoping to accomplish. I now am more inspired to put away the phone while I am dealing with my family and it is something I would like to try and be better at moving forward. Hanging up my phone and hanging on to my kids. For that alone the commercial was worth it.

Thanks Alexa!

Shabbat Shalom,
Rabbi Yosef Koval