Monday, June 5, 2017

Can You Hear Me Now?

Can You Hear Me Now?


Well, the time has come to replace my cell phone. While it still works, it is acting up more and more often and before it completely goes on me I decided to take advantage of my upgrade and purchase a new one.

When cell phones first became popular I looked into the different companies that were offering them and I decided on Sprint. What did Sprint have to offer that prompted me to go with them? For one, they had more affordable plans than the others. Still, that was not the primary factor that swayed me. No, the thing that appealed to me most was that while other companies were requiring customers to lock themselves into a specific term, Sprint was offering a no-term contract. In other words, I was able to get the phone and if I was not happy I could switch anytime! As someone (read: a member of the male gender) who shies away from commitments I loved that part of the deal. I am the person who hesitates before eating meat in case there is something dairy that I will want to eat. In short, I don’t enjoy being “locked into” anything.

That happened 16 years ago. And in case you're wondering, I am still with Sprint.

Last week my siblings and I were discussing our phone plans and when they heard I was with Sprint they were all incredulous. All of them had had Sprint at one point but switched because the coverage was so much better with other carriers. “Why are you still staying with them?” they asked me.

In all honesty they are correct in that the signal is weaker with Sprint (at least in my area) than it is with other providers. My phone calls have more break-ups than most Hollywood relationships.  A typical phone call, especially when I am driving through rural areas might sound something like this:

Wife: “What would you like for dinner?”
Me: “You think I look thinner? Thanks!”
Wife: “No, I said what would you like for dinner! I mean, yes you do look thinner but that not what I said.”
Me: “Who’s Fred?”
Wife (exasperated): “Hello! I asked you what you want to eat for supper!”
Me: I’m sorry, I have a bad signal here. Did you say you got us a puppy? Don’t you think it’s not a good time in our lives for us to bring in a pet?”
Wife (totally regretting the fact that she called in the first place): “Forget it. I am making mac-n-cheese for supper.”
Me: “Wait! Why don’t you ask me first what I want before you make mac-n-cheese! I can’t eat mac-n-cheese, I just ate meat!”
 
You get the picture. Yet, despite the fact that I know I can get better service elsewhere, and despite the fact that I signed with Sprint SIXTEEN YEARS AGO just to avoid being locked into a contract, here I am about to get a new phone with them.

So what’s the story? Am I crazy? (Don’t answer that please.)

Of course the fact that I get better prices with Sprint every time I threaten to leave has helped but it hasn’t been the only deciding factor. The real answer is that I have a comfort zone that I am not in the mood of getting out of. And that brings me to the point of this column.

As I write this piece we are about 9 hours away from the holiday of Shavuot, the day that commemorates the day the Jewish people witnessed the Revelation of G-d at Mount Sinai and received the Ten commandments from Moses (contrary to what some might think, it wasn’t Charlton Heston). It was, and continues to be, the greatest day in the history of the world – not only for the Jewish people but for the world as a whole. You know those “Judeo-Christian principles” that people refer to? Well, they’re really “Judeo principles” and they began on that day. That day transformed us from a “people” into a “nation.”

Every Shavuot we have a chance to relive and reaffirm our commitment to G-d and to his Torah. Most people, practically everyone in fact, plateau at their comfort level and are not looking for any more commitments. They prefer to stay with the same “provider” they have been using until now, despite it not having as strong of a connection to G-d as they can get if they “switch to another provider,” even if those entail more commitments and a higher price tag.

Shavuot is a perfect time to re-examine our current “plan” and see how we can make a small step in leaving our comfort zone and making an improvement, even the smallest area of growth can be a springboard for greater things to come.



Shabbat Shalom,
Rabbi Yosef Koval