Monday, May 30, 2016

JFX 10-Year Anniversary

JFX 10-Year Anniversary


Guest Rambler Avril Burg  

I’m just getting home from one of the most uplifting and entertaining nights I’ve experienced in quite a long time.  And I’m so glad I went!  

I have to be honest. I almost didn’t even go. Rewind to the beginning of my day.  I was running around trying to get out of my house grabbing everything I needed for my day when I did a quick turn-around to grab something and jammed a pen into my face. Graceful, I know! I hurriedly threw the pen into my bag and ran out of my house.

Hours later while rushing to get ready for the event, I didn’t know what I was looking forward to the most. Would it the incredible hor d'oeuvres catered by Chef Dave, Sababa and others, the decadent desserts, or Alan Veingrad, the speaker who is supposed to tell an inspiring football story?  But football is about as exciting to me as a root canal, so I didn’t expect that to be the highlight. 

Finally David gets home and we jump in the car and I do what any self-respecting RUNNING-A-BIT-BEHIND-WIFE does. I apply my makeup while David does the driving. This is when I discover a huge purple bruise on my face. I remembered my run in with that nasty pen earlier and told David he had to turn around. David did what any self-respecting husband does when his wife tells him she cannot be seen out in public. He ignored me and kept driving. 

After some coaxing and a lot of cover up, we walked into Tri-C. At the door, we were immediately greeted by Rabbi and Ruchi Koval. I was overwhelmed by the warmth of their welcome and so taken by the amount of people who wouldn’t have missed this opportunity to honor ten amazing years of JFX. The atmosphere in that room was overflowing with community pride! We all understood the importance of this moment and the blessing of this milestone. 

As we made our way in, it was hard to miss that everywhere we looked there were people who are inspired to learn and grow. I saw people from my mussar class. David saw people from his JFX minyan. There were rabbis and teachers who’ve influenced our kids greatly.  (Rabbi Helman gets thru to my 16 Anchoryear old son like no one can!) 

There was the Koval clan (Jake and Rochel, Yosef and Miriam, etc). There were families who I see at all of the JFX special events. There were our partners in Torah (shout out to Frumi and Adam Pollack!). The common thread that runs thru them all is that I consider them all my friends. 

As it turned out, Alan Veingrad was definitely more exciting than a root canal. In fact, he had me totally captivated and inspired throughout his whole story. Mingling with the JFX community while enjoying dessert, was the perfect end to the perfect night. I had to laugh at myself once I got home, thinking I almost didn’t go just because of a bruise. 

What the Kovals have built with JFX in just ten years, helps us all appreciate what is truly real and important in life. Mazel  tov, lotsa love and appreciation.

Shabbat Shalom,
Avril Burg