Friday, July 30, 2021

What Lies Beneath The Water

What Lies Beneath the Water Last week was my wedding anniversary and I was fortunate enough to celebrate yet another year of marriage to my dear wife Miriam! To celebrate, we went for a quick getaway, and on the way we stopped at a small pond where there were many ducks swimming around as people stood on the banks and threw in food to them. As the ducks swam, I noticed a group of 5 small ducklings with their mother swimming alongside them wherever they went. (At least I assume it was their mother, although I suppose it may well have been their nanny. It was, after all, an upscale neighborhood). I love nature and animals and I was fascinated as I watched these ducks. I was mesmerized by how beautifully all of the ducks just sailed across the face of the water so smoothly and effortlessly. Their bodies were upright and non-moving as they glided all along the pond. And as the little ducklings scurried from place to place to feed off the generous humans standing outside the water, there was the mother following close by at all times. In my reverie, I suddenly noticed the webbed feet of the ducks beneath the water as they swam. In contrast to the smooth movements of the ducks’ bodies, their feet were in constant motion as they propelled themselves along the water. I was struck by the realization that, while what is observed by our eyes seems so smooth, the true catalyst for what is seen externally is all the action that is going on unobserved beneath the surface, obscured from view. Truth be told, the lesson from the ducks is an appropriate metaphor for many things in life. At this moment, the Olympics are taking place in Tokyo. I have always enjoyed tuning in to the Olympics and feel a sense of pride when I see an American standing on the podium after winning a gold medal. Invariably, there are numerous people who, when seeing gold medal winners basking in the glory of a win and gaining the adulation and admiration of their countrymen, feel a certain sense of jealousy. They too would love to be a celebrity and ink large deals endorsing products earning them fortunes of money. What they fail to ponder and internalize, however, is all of the work that went into getting them to that moment. All of the years spent waking up at the wee hours of the morning to go to practices and competitions. All of the thousands of hours spent practicing, over and over again. All of the failures and disappointments along the way. All of the relinquishing of self-interests and carefree times such as social events and late night parties. So much toil and effort was expended in order for that gold medal winner to arrive at that shining moment on the podium. Much like the duck who so gracefully sails across the silvery lake, beyond what is in view of everyone is all of the effort taking place out of sight beneath the surface to allow the duck to achieve that beautiful swim. In fact, this is axiomatic regarding practically everything in life. Whether in material matters, and most certainly in spiritual ones, there lies so much work behind the scenes which leads to the success stories which everyone sees with their eyes. I recall numerous times when my wife, upon seeing a very holy person, would remark, “I am so envious of that person’s spiritual stature!” And each time I would reply, “There is nothing to be envious of — you too can become like that. It just requires investing the same sacrifices and work that person did!” In truth, with regards to material pursuits, one can put in tremendous effort and still not be blessed with a successful outcome, but with regards to spiritual success, we are taught differently. The Talmud says, “If someone tells you they toiled but were not successful (in regards to spiritual growth and Torah learning), do not believe them.” Meaning, if one puts in effort into developing their relationship with G-d, it is an automatic that they will find the success they are seeking. And if they tell you they have not, “don’t believe them.” It means they did not put in enough toil towards that goal. You too can smoothly glide along in your spiritual growth – but not without the toil being put in beneath the surface. I will close by expressing my intense gratitude in honor of my anniversary to my wife Miriam, the “mother duck” of our family (and in fact to all of those heroic Jewish women) who is the backbone in producing and ensuring the survival of the next generation of our proud nation! Without you we would truly be lost and for that I say, from the bottom of my heart, thank you! Shabbat Shalom, Rabbi Yosef Koval