Friday, May 16, 2014

One to Ten

by Rabbi Koval

"Rabbi, when I die I plan on being cremated," an older gentleman remarked to me this past Sunday.  I explained to him the Torah's belief in the sanctity of the body, the pain the soul experiences when the body is willingly cremated, and the trauma felt in the "real world" - the afterlife.

His response was simple: "This is the real world.  I don't believe in anything else."  

I said, "Well, do you know for certain that there's no afterlife?"  

"No," he admitted.  

"So why take a chance?" said I.  "Just in case you get there and find out that 4,000 years of Jewish tradition is correct, and there really is a world beyond, a spiritual world, why put your soul through that painful, eternal experience?"

The next day, on Monday evening, Clevelanders experienced quite a sound and light show in our normally friendly skies.  (Maybe that's what happens when United pulls out? :)  I was putting my not-yet-four-year-old daughter to bed when a shock of thunder rumbled outside.  She said, "Tatty (Daddy), say a brachah (blessing)."  

"Nomi, how do you know that we say a brachah when we hear thunder?" I asked.  

"My Morah taught me.  But, it's not for my age... because of the words."  

Once we were talking theology she added, "Do you know why we can't see Hashem?  Because He's too big and powerful (powewfuw).  Morah taught me that too!"

Juxtaposing these two stories, I feel so fortunate that our family is blessed with the gift of faith. Growing up with and surrounded by people who believe in a G-d, a higher world, and in a road map to get there.  Sure, everybody struggles with issues of faith.  But, the foundation has been solid.  

The Ten Commandments begin with a simple statement,  "I am the Lord, your G-d...."  In other words, believe in me.  A basic, unsophisticated, but pure faith.  One that is age-appropriate for even a four-year-old.  The tenth commandment is not be jealous of others.  This is only truly possible if one develops a higher and more sophisticated level of faith in G-d.  One that trusts in a G-d who gives me exactly what I need in life to achieve my purpose and fulfillment.  This takes a lifetime of struggle and study to achieve, but it is something that the Torah wants us to strive towards.

We develop the basic, unsophisticated, but pure faith by observing and embracing Jewish life and living, by talking about Hashem to our children and among ourselves (yes, using the G-word), and being bold enough to make Him a part of our daily reality.  

Ultimately, the dividends are great.  Creating a solid foundation of faith - the first commandment - provides us with the first and vital rung on the ladder of faith, allowing us to climb higher and aim for a life free of jealously, tension and strife - the tenth commandment!