Friday, January 24, 2014

Vacay: The Mitzvah

by Ruchi

My kids are on vacation this week, and I'm so glad - for a few reasons.  Firstly and most obviously, we get a break from the "alarm clock-mad rush-stick to schedule-then do your homework-go to bed so we can do it all over again" routine.  This gives an opportunity to enjoy our kids in a more relaxed way and experience things differently from regular life mode.  Second, we are headed to New Jersey for our bi-annual journey to visit with my parents.  Third, it gives us so many beautiful opportunities to grow and become better people by presenting interesting opportunities in Torah principles.  For example:
 
1. Envy.  When my kids say "everyone's going to Florida" (or somewhere warm - and yes, I know it's "cold" in Florida but it's sort of tricky to muster up lots of sympathy on that front) and I answer them "Not EVERYONE is going to Florida" and then check my Facebook news feed and feel exactly the same way, this is an excellent moment to work on my little envy monster that lives inside my head.
 
2. Honor thy father and mother.  Visiting my parents is really nice.  My kids get special attention, I get to chat with my folks about family news and all kinds of philosophy, I get to see my sisters, nieces and nephews, we get to check out fun kosher eateries, and catch up with friends.  But it's also an incredible opportunity to honor my parents.  Since we don't live nearby, I don't get the opportunity often enough.
 
3. Making a bride and groom happy.  My cousin is getting married this weekend!  I am so excited to see everyone!  I often miss these occasions because so many of our relatives live in NY and NJ and we live in Florida, er, Cleveland. And it's also a mitzvah.  Attending a wedding and specifically making the bride and groom feel happy and special is a mitzvah!  An awesome one, I might add.
 
4. Calmness, patience, kindness to my kids.  'Nuff said :)
 
5. Shabbos.  I get to spend not just a "weekend" with my family, but a Shabbos.  That's NOT the same thing.  Spending Shabbos in a different location, with people I love, reminds me that it's the gift Jews share and love.  It's the thing we share in common.  It's the time we have to sit, chill, chat, sing, and unite in our Judaism.  I'm pumped.
 
And I just realized that three of the above are in the 10 commandments - which we just read in synagogues everywhere a couple weeks ago.  So I'll be missing all my JFX-ers over the "weekend" - but thinking of you.  Which mitzvah opportunities will you have this weekend?